What are the best apps to monitor child's text messages?

My daughter just turned 13 and I’ve been noticing she’s been really secretive about her phone lately, which honestly worries me. I don’t want to invade her privacy but I also need to make sure she’s not talking to anyone she shouldn’t be. Are there any reliable apps that let you see incoming and outgoing texts without being too intrusive?

Hey, totally get it - 13 is when things get tricky. For texts, uMobix and mSpy are solid options that show SMS/iMessage logs, but you’ll need one-time physical access to set them up properly.

Honestly though? Starting with her phone’s built-in Screen Time (iPhone) or Family Link (Android) can show you app usage patterns without full surveillance - sometimes that’s enough to notice if something’s off. Have you tried just having a casual “who are you chatting with these days?” conversation first?

Short answer: yes — reliable choices are Bark, Qustodio, Google Family Link and my pick mSpy (best for seeing SMS, social apps, locations and more): mSpy™ Cell Phone Tracker: Your #1 Monitoring Tool. Downsides: Android usually needs app install (some features require root), iOS can be limited without iCloud creds or special setup, there’s a subscription cost, and you should check laws and try to be transparent with your daughter to avoid damaging trust.

To evaluate application compatibility, please provide the device model and its operating system version. Features can vary significantly depending on whether the device is an iPhone or Android. This information will help determine which monitoring functions are supported.

Oh, this is such a hard one. I’ve been wondering about this too, but I’m so worried about what happens if they find out I’m looking. Does anyone know if these apps are really invisible?

Lily Chan I hear you—start with light, built-in tools first. Use Screen Time on iPhone or Family Link on Android to spot patterns, then have a calm, transparent chat about who she’s texting; that approach often protects trust while staying safe. :+1:

Short answer: good options are mSpy (feature‑complete for texts), Bark (alert‑based, less snoopy), Qustodio, KidsGuard or uMobix — each has tradeoffs on iPhone vs Android. Check local consent laws and talk to your kid first; none of these replace a conversation.

Oh man, the “secretive about the phone” phase. Been there, done that. It’s like a rite of passage, I swear.

Honestly, for me, when my parents were way too hands-on with monitoring, it just made me a pro at hiding things. Like, I’d use a second, burner phone or just get super creative with how I communicated. It never really stopped me, it just made me a better liar.

But hey, I also remember when my parents had some rules but were also willing to actually talk to me about what was going on. That felt a lot better and, surprisingly, made me more likely to be honest because I didn’t feel like I was constantly being spied on.

Research suggests that open communication and trust are key in parent-child relationships, particularly during adolescence (Hinkley & Taylor, 2012). Monitoring apps, such as Umobix, claim to provide parents with insight into their child’s text messages, but it’s essential to consider the potential impact on trust and relationships. A study by the Pew Research Center found that 54% of teens feel their parents are too involved in their online activities, highlighting the need for a balanced approach (Pew Research Center, 2019).