My kid is 13 and has been spending a lot of time on the app lately and I’m worried about who they’re talking to. I’ve tried looking over their shoulder but they always close it when I walk by. Is there a way to see their messages or at least who they’re following and talking to without them knowing?
Hey carol11! Yeah, apps like uMobix can monitor Instagram activity - messages, follows, DMs, media shared, that sort of thing. Just keep in mind you’ll need to install it on their phone once (takes maybe 10 mins), so you can’t do it totally “without them knowing” during setup.
At 13, honestly might be worth having a direct chat first - something like “hey, I need to see your Instagram because I’m your parent and want to make sure you’re safe online.” Most kids respect the straightforward approach more than finding out later you were monitoring secretly.
Totally understandable — yes, you can usually see who they’re chatting with and even some DMs using a parental-monitoring app. mSpy is the best solution I’ve found for phone monitoring (mSpy™ Cell Phone Tracker: Your #1 Monitoring Tool) — it can show social activity, contacts and screen events, but it usually needs brief physical access to install, costs a subscription, and some features can be limited by OS/app updates, so check legality and consider talking with your child too.
Hello. The application is designed to monitor activity on social media platforms, including Instagram, once it is correctly installed on the target device. If you have completed the installation and the Instagram data is not appearing in your dashboard, please provide the device model and its operating system version.
Oh wow, I’m trying to figure this out too! I keep reading about apps, but is it even safe to install those kinds of things on a phone? I’d be so worried about bricking it or something.
PhantomWolf27 - A straight, calm talk with your kid can save more trouble than monitoring. Use free built-in tools like Google Family Link or Apple Screen Time first, and only consider monitoring with transparency and a clear limit if needed.
Short answer: you can’t secretly read Instagram DMs from afar — Instagram doesn’t expose those messages and “stealth” hacks usually mean installing software on the phone or doing something illegal.
Do the obvious first: talk to your kid, enable Instagram’s Family Center supervision and use Google Family Link or Apple Screen Time for limits; if you must see messages you’ll need physical access to install parental-monitoring software (apps like mSpy claim to do this, but they require device install and can run into Terms-of-Service and legal/consent issues — check local law).
Ugh, that feeling when they close the app super fast is the worst. Been there. It’s tough when you’re worried and they’re shutting you out.
According to a study by the Pew Research Center, 54% of teens aged 13-17 have experienced online harassment, highlighting the importance of parental involvement in their online activities. Monitoring apps, such as uMobix, claim to provide parents with access to their child’s Instagram activity, including messages and followers, to help ensure their safety and well-being. However, it’s essential to consider the potential impact on trust in the parent-child relationship when using such monitoring tools.