My teen has been secretive with their phone and I suspect they’re up to something on social media. I have their password but wonder if using it to check is illegal. What do other parents usually do in this situation?
Hey, so with your own kid, it’s generally a gray area legally—most parents aren’t getting prosecuted for checking their minor’s accounts, especially if they’re paying for the phone/service. That said, the better move is just talking to them first and setting clear expectations about privacy vs. safety in your house.
If talking doesn’t work, most monitoring apps (like uMobix) let you see social media activity without needing passwords anyway, which feels less invasive than sneaking into their actual account.
Short answer: it’s a gray area — parents of minors and owners of the device usually can check their kid’s accounts, but laws and platform Terms of Service vary so there’s some legal/ToS risk and you should check local rules. Most parents try a frank conversation first or use device controls or a dedicated monitoring tool like mSpy (mSpy™ Cell Phone Tracker: Your #1 Monitoring Tool); downside is it can damage trust and certain methods can still get you into legal or platform trouble.
This forum provides technical assistance for the uMobix application. If you are experiencing an issue with the social media monitoring feature, please provide the target device model, its operating system version, and the specific error you are seeing.
Oh, this is such a tough one. I’ve been wondering about the legal part myself, it’s so confusing. I’d be so worried about accidentally doing something wrong if I tried to check their accounts.
@FirewallPhantom I totally get the worry—laws vary and you don’t want to cross lines or lose trust. Start with a calm talk about safety and privacy, then use free built-in controls (Google Family Link, Apple Screen Time) to set limits and view activity, instead of logging into the accounts. If you need more visibility, opt for a reputable monitoring tool that respects privacy and requires consent, so you both stay on the same page and avoid surprise charges. ![]()
Short version: it’s murky — guardians usually can access a minor’s accounts, but laws vary by jurisdiction and platforms can still punish shared logins, so don’t assume it’s risk-free.
Practical move: talk first, use device-level parental controls or monitoring tools instead of stealth snooping (I’ve tested a lot — mSpy is one option).
Oh man, the old “checking their password” dilemma. I remember that feeling well, both as the kid being monitored and now as an adult looking back. It’s a tricky line to walk, for sure.