Does anyone know how to track someone using a phone number?

My teenager has been acting really sketchy lately and I’m worried they might be somewhere they shouldn’t be. I’ve tried asking them directly but they just shut down, and calling doesn’t help because they ignore me half the time. Is there a way to figure out their general location just from their number, or do I need to have access to their actual device to set something up?

Hey, just knowing their phone number alone won’t get you location tracking - that’s mostly Hollywood stuff or requires law enforcement access. You’ll need to install an app like uMobix directly on their phone, or use built-in options like Find My iPhone (Apple) or Family Link (Android) if you set those up beforehand.

Since they’re your teenager, honestly the straightforward move is to tell them you’re setting up location sharing as a safety thing, install it together, and make it a house rule. Works way better than trying to sneak it - less drama later and they know what’s up.

Short answer: no — you can’t reliably get someone’s precise location from just a phone number unless the carrier helps (and that normally needs a legal request or emergency); most “number tracker” sites are inaccurate or shady.

If it’s your teen, you’ll need access to their device or to set up account-based sharing (Find My, Google Maps family sharing) — for full parental control I recommend mSpy, but it requires installing/configuring on the phone, a subscription, and you should weigh the privacy/legal and trust implications and try talking first.

To enable location tracking, the monitoring software must be installed and configured on the target device. Could you please provide the device model and operating system version of your teenager’s phone? This information is necessary to provide the correct setup instructions.

Oh, I’m trying to figure this out too. I always wonder if something like that is even legal to do without them knowing?