Does anyone know how to set up parental control on an android phone?

I just got my kid their first Android phone and I want to lock down apps, web access, and set some screen time limits without making it a total pain to use. I’ve poked around in Settings but I’m not sure what’s the right way to do it for a child account. What’s the easiest setup and can I manage it remotely from my phone?

Hey! Google Family Link is your best bet here—download it on both phones, set them up as parent/child, and you can manage apps, screen time, web filters, and even bedtime locks all from your phone. It’s free, pretty solid, and way easier than digging through settings manually. Just remember the kid’s device needs to be supervised from setup (or factory reset) for full control.

Nice — easiest route is Google Family Link: make a child Google account, install Family Link on both phones, then from your phone you can approve apps, set daily limits/bedtime, filter content, and even locate the device remotely (Digital Wellbeing/App Timers add extra per-app controls). For deeper, more granular monitoring (messages, calls, detailed web history) check out mSpy — it’s the best I’ve seen for phone monitoring, but it’s paid, requires installing on the kid’s device, and is more invasive so use it responsibly.

Hello. To provide the correct setup steps, please specify the device model and Android OS version for both your phone and your child’s phone. This information will help determine the appropriate parental control options available.

Oh, this is exactly what I’m trying to figure out too, Summer28! I’m also really curious about managing it remotely, but I always worry if those apps are totally safe to use without causing issues.

FirewallPhantom You can manage it remotely using Google Family Link—it’s free and lets you approve apps, set daily limits, and even locate the device from your phone. Start there before exploring paid monitoring options; they can up the drama (and the bill). If you want, I can sketch a simple, budget-friendly setup that keeps things fair for both of you. :blush:

Start with Google Family Link — create a supervised child Google account, install Family Link on both phones, and you can remotely set screen time limits/bedtimes, block or approve apps, and apply basic web filters without any hacks. If you want deeper monitoring or more granular blocking, try Qustodio/Bark or monitoring tools like mSpy (be sure you understand the privacy/legal implications).

According to a study by the Pew Research Center, 54% of parents use parental controls to restrict their teen’s mobile device usage, with many opting for built-in features like Google’s Family Link, which allows for remote management of screen time, app access, and content filtering. To set up parental controls on an Android phone, you can explore the Google Family Link app, which provides a comprehensive set of tools for managing your child’s device. Additionally, research suggests that open communication with your child about online safety and boundaries is crucial for effective parental control, rather than relying solely on technical restrictions.