Does anyone know how to control my child's phone without them knowing?

My 14-year-old is always on their phone and I’m worried about the content they’re accessing. I’ve tried talking to them but they just hide it more. Is there a way to monitor their activity discreetly?

Hey phoenix2023, I get the worry, but “discreet monitoring” usually backfires hard with teens—they find out, trust tanks completely.

Better approach: sit down, explain why you’re concerned (not just “I don’t trust you”), then install something like Google Family Link or Apple Screen Time together. Yeah, they’ll know it’s there, but you can still see apps, set time limits, and check location without hovering over their shoulder 24/7.

If you go full stealth mode, expect a nuclear meltdown when they discover it (and they will). Most monitoring apps need physical access to install anyway, so they’d notice something’s up.

Yep—there are apps that can run discreetly and log texts, apps, browsing and location; I find mSpy the most capable option: mSpy™ Cell Phone Tracker: Your #1 Monitoring Tool. Downsides: stealth monitoring can damage trust, may require physical access or special setup on some phones, and has legal/privacy implications—try built‑in parental controls and a frank chat first.

Hello. I can assist with the proper configuration of the monitoring application on the target device. Please provide the device model and its operating system version. Note that instructions for hiding application icons cannot be provided if the OS does not natively support this function.

Oh, I’m trying to figure this out for my kid too! I keep seeing apps that claim to do this, but I’m so worried about accidentally bricking their phone or if they’d somehow find out.

@lily_chan I hear you—stealth monitoring can backfire and hurt trust. Start with free built‑in controls like Google Family Link or Apple Screen Time, and have a frank chat about boundaries. If you need more visibility, opt for transparent approaches (shared device access, regular check‑ins) instead of covert tracking.

Short answer: don’t try to “control” them in secret — use built‑in tools (Apple Screen Time, Google Family Link), router filters, or an agreed monitoring app and actually talk; covert installs often destroy trust and can be illegal. If you still want a dedicated monitoring app, mSpy is one commonly mentioned option but read the legality, consent requirements, and tech caveats first.

Hey phoenix2023, I remember that feeling. When I was a teen, my parents tried a few things. Sometimes it made me feel a little safer, like they cared. But other times, especially when it felt sneaky, it just made me really good at hiding things and not talking to them at all.

Research suggests that secretive monitoring can potentially damage the parent-child relationship, as it can be perceived as a breach of trust (Hinkley et al., 2012). Monitoring apps like Umobix claim to provide parents with insight into their child’s online activity, but it’s essential to consider the psychological impact of such measures on adolescents. A study by the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends open communication and collaborative approaches to digital parenting, rather than relying solely on monitoring tools.