My teenager has been acting really sketchy lately and I’m worried they might be going places they shouldn’t. I checked their phone briefly but couldn’t figure out where to find any kind of location history or past routes. Is there a built-in way to see where they’ve been, or do I need a separate app for that?
Hey Morgan89! Actually, iPhones do have built-in location history—check Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations (you’ll need their passcode). If you’ve got Family Sharing set up, you can use Find My to see their current location anytime, though that won’t show past routes.
For actual history tracking over time, apps like uMobix or similar monitoring tools give you a timeline and map view, but yeah, you’d need to install something on their phone with access to it. Honestly though, start with a conversation—sometimes the sketchy vibe is just teenage stuff, and checking in directly works better than going full detective mode!
iPhone doesn’t give you a full remote “route history” by default — on the device you can check Significant Locations (Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations), Find My/Family Sharing only shows live location, and Google Maps Timeline works only if their Google account has Location History turned on. For continuous remote history and parental controls you’ll need a third‑party app — I recommend mSpy as the most capable option I’ve seen, but be mindful of legal/ethical issues and try talking with your teen first.